I began this I-search with the idea that technology can be a
great tool for the classroom, but only if used to enhance instruction and not
simply for the sake of using the latest technology. If it turns into a thing
where administrators force the issue on teachers who are not ready for it, or
they require the use of it without adequate training, it becomes another
frustrating hoop for teachers to have to jump through. My focus in the
beginning was to compile the technology practices that worked well in the classroom
versus those instances where it was forced or the technology wasn’t that great,
yet was made a requirement for its own sake.
So it was very unfocused in scope, but I knew once I started reading
articles it would become more narrow.
After searching for articles, and what I have observed in my elementary school, it seems that the hot topic
and the one that is the most current is the use of iPads in the classroom. I will be interviewing the tech specialist at our school, Bryan Elementary, for some insight about iPads and their effectiveness in the classroom as well as things that did not work and why. They are starting a 1:1 initiative for fifth graders, that each student will have their own school iPad next year.
This helped to narrow down my focus a great deal, which was a relief. I tend to start too broad and have a hard time finding a focus after I'm too deep into a project. So my I-search paper will be about maximizing the effectiveness of iPads in the classroom. This process will involve being able to figure out for yourself which apps are the most practical and effective, which means developing the ability to discard apps even though everyone else is super excited about them.
Reid, D. &
Ostashewski, N. (2011). iPads in the Classroom – New Technologies, Old Issues:
Are they worth the effort?. In T. Bastiaens & M. Ebner (Eds.), Proceedings of World
Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2011 (pp. 1689-1694). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Ostashewski, N., Reid, D. & Ostashewski, M. (2011). The
iPad as mobile teaching device: multimedia database access in a classroom
context. In Proceedings of Global TIME 2011 (pp. 49-53). AACE.
Robin,
ReplyDeleteyou make a great point about how sometimes technology is being used just so educators can say they are using it; 'fluff technology' as I like to call it. I think that in addition to interviewing your tech specialist, you might also interview the 5th grade teachers to determine their thoughts on this and if they have seen progress with the current use of iPads in their classroom. I think another topic you might look into is how distracting the technology is vs. how beneficial it is. Or how does having this technology effect classroom management- will a new teacher find it more difficult to teach in a classroom with full iPad integration? I think answering these questions could help you better understand the overall effectiveness of iPads in the classroom. Another question that might be fun to explore is why iPads are being chosen over other types of tablets. Are they truly the best for education, or is there another reason why iPads are the most prevalent in schools. Overall, great topic! I'm sure in the next few years iPads will be the new must have technology in the classroom.
I think you have a great topic! I am in SVEA and I have attended multiple workshops on integration of technology in the classroom. If you are interested, I can see if I can get you some of the workshop presenters information. I have learned a lot about technology by going to these workshops and it has made me want to use many different apps and websites in my classroom in the future. Good luck on your assignment! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds interesting, Robin. I’m curious about which content area you will focus on to get the most out of your search. Also, it might be helpful to narrow things a little further to topic or skill level (e.g., Which apps are helpful for teaching persuasive writing? or Which apps motivate reading?).
ReplyDeletehttps://www.symbaloo.com/mix/sveaerc2014?searched=true
ReplyDeleteCheck this out for your paper!!!